Friday, May 26, 2006

Raising Cain I: Education

LongDistanceConversations

I've been thinking a lot about what I'll do in certain situations when I have children lately. One of the things that keeps coming up in conversations is education. It's generally accepted that people should send their children to the public schools provided by the government. But, I tend to disagree with that as an axiom. Compulsory education is not the only way to educate children. In fact, there are quite a few arguments in favor of alternative methods. I by no means have all of the answers when it comes to this particular topic. But I do have somethings to say. I won't write an essay here laying out what I think in detail. I'd rather that come out of dialogue. So, here's an essay that I find intersting:

http://www.spinninglobe.net/condunces.htm

And don't be shy. The spectrum of people that have been invited to this blog consists of experienced parents, unmarried people who have thought about this and one very skilled educator working on a PhD in curriculum theory (whom I happen to know is not a fan of John Taylor Gato.) So no one here can use the excuse of ignorance.

No comments: